Whipman Week 2021
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, as with last year, we will be celebrating a little differently than our usual week of Rideouts, fancy dress and sports. This year, we will be marking Whipman Week in the village and surrounding parishes with bunting, virtual events and community projects.
Full Programme of Events
In a hope to make it feel like a traditional Whipman Week we will be putting the bunting up on Sunday 23rd May.
Best Dressed House or Shop Front
Traditionally these would have a Whipman related theme but this year, like last year, we are looking for any decoration for your houses and shop fronts. Get creative and get the kids involved.
To comply with current government guidelines this year pictures of your entry should be sent to [email protected] by Friday 11th June.
Judging of the photographs will take place on Saturday 12 June by our Whipman and Lass Elect, Gregor Brown and Lucy Martin and Presenting Lady, Nancy Porteous, with the winner receiving the A&C Weir Shield with prizes as usual for the 2nd and 3rd places.
Kids Fancy Dress
In place of floats and fancy dress this year, the children from West Linton Primary School, Newlands Primary School, Newlands Kids, the Village Nursery, West Linton Early Learners, Westies and Trees and Tots will go to school in Fancy Dress, mainly on Friday 4th June (some groups fancy dress days may vary). The Schools will also be having a mini Sports in their PE sessions in class bubbles.
Duck Race organised by Socialize
Feeling Lucky? Buy a Ducky! Ducks on sale at West Linton Market on 5th June and from local retailers from 17th May. We’ll have a table outside J&R Bells (Shaz’s) as well (dates and time to be confirmed). £1 per Duck, £50 First Prize
Virtual Running Event
Get signed up for our Virtual Running Event. Runners can run their selected distance anytime from Friday 4th of June to Saturday 12th of June in any location.
1. You can run where ever you like, around your garden, up the hills, around the green, where ever takes your fancy!
1 Mile – (anyone can run this)
5k ( 11 year olds and above)
10k (15 year olds and above)
Half Marathon (17 years and above) (these age groups are Scottish athletics recommended ages)
2. You need to send us evidence of your run. The best way to do this is with a sports tracking app that you can download for free for example Strava or Map My run, send a screenshot or link of your run to [email protected]
3. Send us your pictures! we would love to share your pictures online!
4. We will put up a list of everyone’s times at the end of the week (unless you tell me in the email you don’t wish to be included in the results)
5. Have fun, that’s the most important part! Here is the link for the sign up: https://msevenrjn.wufoo.com/…/whipman-play-virtual…/
Virtual Cycle Event
Choose your distance and make up your own route for yourself and the rest of the family.
1km (Any age)
5km (11 years and up)
10km (15 years and up)
50km 4 Kirks Challenge (18 years and up)
1. Cycling to be done between 4th June – 12th June 2021
2. Cycling routes at any location except “4 Kirks Challenge” which is a fixed route 3. (Route TBC)
Photographs are encouraged and should be emailed to [email protected] for inclusion on Whipman Play social media
4. Certificates available online for download and printing
5. Participation is at your own risk. All children to be accompanied by an adult. Participants should follow Covid-19 guidance and the Highway Code.
6. Results available on Strava: Entrants require to have a Strava account, which is available free at www.strava.com Once you are logged in go to “Explore” on the Menu bar and then click on “Clubs”. In Clubs go to Club Name and search Whipman then click on “Whipman Play Cycling Challenge 2021” to join after which your results will be automatically uploaded. The Strava app is available for your phone and should be started at the beginning of your route and ended when you finish.
Trophies for the fastest female & male participants in the “4 Kirks 50km challenge. Certificates available from our website for all participants.
Pet Picture Competition
Instead of our normal dog show we are having a Pet Picture Competition.
Best Action Shot
Pet Who Most Looks Like Owner
Entries should be sent to [email protected] with the subject as the category you are entering. Entry closes on Friday 11th June with the Winner judged by Whipman Lass Elect, Lucy Martin and announced on Saturday 12th June.
Silhouettesman Art Installation
In lieu of the real rideout this year, our proposal is a rather arty affair. We are asking all our local children to work up some designs, the more colourful and imaginative the better and these will be submitted to Whipman and Silhouettesman for a series of prizes for our favourites. In addition, we have arranged for the larger cut out horses to be painted up by the children by class, ready for collection the week starting the 1st June, in time for us to set up around the Lower Green for a sculpture park parade in time for Whipman rideout Saturday on the 5th June.
Team Silhouettesman has also made some much larger horse and riders, these limited edition beauties stand just over 6 feet tall. To compliment the smaller horses, we want to see your most creative work on display on these horses. Whether it’s a tartan horse and rider, a Mr Blobby inspired work of art or simply your favourite tea cake label plastered across the plywood. Silhouettesman and Whipman will organise the installation of these on the Lower Green with the smaller horses for the spectacle that is the Whipman horse parade 2021.
During Whipman Week 2021 a group of Whipman volunteers will be partaking in giving the village a clean up and some TLC.
In the run up to Whipman Week we’ve already cleaned the Whipman Stone and jet washed the White Bridge.
During Whipman Week we will be carrying out some work on the War Memorial, upgrading the Training area at New Moor Road, home of Linton Hotspur FC and doing some litter picks around the village.
War Memorial Ceremony
Will take place on Saturday 12th June at 1:30pm when wreaths will be laid on behalf of The Whipman Play Society and Ex-Whipmen’s Association with a short blessing by Rev Nick Bowry with the British Legion in attendance.
Whipman Church Service
Joint Church Service with St Andrew’s Church and St Mungo’s Church on Sunday 13th June. (To be confirmed whether this will be in one of the churches or live on Zoom.)
Quiz Night at West Linton Golf Club on Saturday, 12 June at 7 p.m. £5 per person with teams of 3 for social distancing and Government guidelines, £100 Prize. Please Private Message our Facebook Page or contact Calum Murray on 07828166459 for tickets.
£1 per ticket – Charlie has renewed our licence and volunteers required to sell the tickets please. Gregor and Lucy will sell tickets at the Market on Saturday, 5 June.
Virtual Coffee Concert
Being organised by the Village Centre Trust – details to follow.